Hotels on the Las Vegas strip clearly get much more traffic than the hotels that are located in the lesser attractive off-strip areas; and it is with this very simple analogy we have the objective for our internet marketing strategy, we want our web sites to be on the strip!
Okay the, so how do we move our web sites high up the search engine rankings to be exposed to maximum eyeballs? The answer is pretty simple, if not a little confusing at the outset, and that is ‘indirect’ Internet marketing.
The problem with indirect Internet marketing is quite simply the word ‘indirect’ because most businesses expect, and measure, their marketers on some form of direct marketing. However, with Internet marketing, the only part of the marketing process that we control is the on-page search engine optimization (SEO) of our web site and that may only count for 30% to 40% of the elements required for a complete search-marketing program. We must pay attention to ‘off-page’ SEO.
However, while SEO is not an exact science, it is the off-page SEO activities that separates the web sites from those that are ‘on the strip’ from those that are ‘off-strip’; and it is this off-page SEO that calls for an ‘indirect’ internet marketing strategy.
Search engines measure the value of a web site by the number of other websites that link to that site and this is where it is imperative to develop and execute an aggressive strategy that falls within the guidelines laid out by Google. If two web sites have identical on-page SEO, it will be the site with the best off-page SEO that will rank higher with the search engine.
So, what should the core of an indirect Internet marketing strategy look like?
1) Connect with friendly web sites to link back to your site.
2) Join many forums and become active in many discussions; and ensure that your URL is included in your signature.
3) Develop and host groups on all social networking media web sites to promote your business and update on a regular basis.
4) Issue press releases on a regularly via paid, and free, PR web outlets
5) Write article for ezines
6) Add a blog to your site but do not use it to sell your products directly, use the blog to position your brand as being expert in your field. Every time you make a blog entry you will increase both the size and the freshness of your site and if you can get subscribers to your site you will be well on your way.
7) Take part in all industry associations.
8) Be relentless
These tactics could be considered to have little value individually, but collectively this a is a powerful force.
To accomplish the above you have to pursue it, as it will not come to you. There is a lot of work, much of it mundane, involved in executing an indirect marketing strategy but if executed you will move you business onto ‘the strip’ where the foot traffic is great and opportunities abound.
Latest posts by George Ross (see all)
- Google Ads - February 27, 2019
- New Hailux Lighting Website Published (WordPress) - October 2, 2017
- Redesign of DiStefano Brother’s Website (WordPress) - August 2, 2017